OSHA Approved Wood aluminum Scaffolding Boards
While OSHA approved wood aluminum scaffolding boards are for scaffolding, aside from purchasing lumbers and aluminum pipes beforehand, there are other “lumber and pipe-like” components that have to be considered. Regardless of materials, below are the important elements of scaffolding.
- Standard is a lengthy pipe which links the weight of the scaffold directly to ground level. The length of the scaffolding should be run by the length of the pipe. Standard bases are linked to a base plate. This will aid in the distribution of the weights to the standards.
- Ledgers are connecting pipes that is placed horizontally to the standards. The function of ledgers is to provide additional support to the standards in the distribution of weights. Ledgers and standards are partners in the said function.
- Transoms are located in a right angle position on top of the ledger pipes. Though they provide support to the standards and ledgers, transoms have two forms with their own function. Transoms that aid in the distribution of weight by holding the standards are main transoms. They also support scaffolding boards. Main transom obtain further support from the intermediate transoms which are located alongside the main transoms.
- Aside from the tree main support elements, braces are also important reinforcement to scaffolding. While OSHA approved wood aluminum scaffolding boards, there is no problem considering wood and aluminum scaffolding braces. Braces may come with a variety of type such as cross braces, façade and extension couplers. Cross braces are placed diagonally between the positions of the ledgers. They provide total stability of the scaffolds. The problem of swaying falls under the task of the facade braces which are rigidly attached to the scaffold.
- Couplers connect other elements and it has several types. Right-angle coupler serves as connector for the main three supportive elements. They connect the ledger to transom or the standard. If there is a need to support a scaffold board and must be linked to the ledger pipes or the standards, single-coupler or a putlog can serve as the connector. Swivel coupler is a must to use in other angle connection in the scaffolds.
- Aside from the usual wood and aluminum components as OSHA approved wood aluminum scaffolding boards and braces for scaffolding, together with the above stated structural components of a fundamental scaffold, some sorts of ties are recommended. Ties provide security for attachment of scaffolds to a building. There are many kinds of ties that workers can use in erecting scaffolds. For a rule of a thumb, ties should be attached every 4 meters on level of alternation. In addition to the scaffold usual ties, box ties also help workers to make sure the security of building attachment by making a passage in an open window. Strong pillars are supporters for ties.
The catch – OSHA approved wood aluminum scaffolding boards does not mean any self or homemade components are approved in the erection of fundamental scaffolds. The main reason why OSHA approved wood aluminum scaffolding boards and formalized standard components is to establish a rigid foundation before building something.