Scaffolding Guard Rails
Scaffolding guard rails are designed to streamline the possibility of falling during the erection of scaffolding. As workers are responsible for their own safety, aside from guardrails, here are important things workers should know to maximize their safety in setting up scaffolds.
- As part of the erecting team, you should make sure that everyone is equipped with enough orientation and proper training before deployment to the scaffolding erection process. Training should include safe practices such as how to get on and off properly to the scaffold. There are many technical aspects that have to be oriented to workers especially for beginners. Before doing the erection, you should see to it that all workers have undergone training that covers fall protection.
- Do not rush to start the work. Before setting up the scaffolding guard rails as you know are the only fall prevention equipment, inspect for other devices such as the stability of the footings and bases Ground conditions should also be checked; footings should be well grounded and plumbed. Slopes can be crucial. Break off from wires and surface elevation changes. By inspecting all the details, you can make sure that its worth to start the erection of the scaffolds.
- Always follow standards and legal procedures. Since standard bodies formalize safety codes to prevent fall and other accidents, we should see to it that we are abiding legally to the standards. It’s likely that there are workers who are working without license. Though it’s a so-many process to apply for license and other legal workers documents, it’s important to be identified as a standard legal worker.
- As part of the safety code, you should always follow load limit. Presuming strength of scaffolds without consultation to experts can lead to possible fall or other accident. Make sure that scaffolds are stable enough to contain the target weight. Do not practice overloading.
- Scaffolding guard rails are a must in construction of scaffolds. For a rule of a thumb, the standard location of guardrails is at least there sides facing away from the building that is if the scaffold covers a height of 10 feet above ground level. Should there be a need to remove guardrails, always make sure that you have fall protection.
- Make some regular inspection. It’s advisable to have experts do the honour. Scaffolding should always be inspected. In case there are things to be removed or replaced, do not presume you know better than professional engineers. Important components such as scaffolding pins , beams and braces should always be subjected for regular inspection.
- It’s also important to maintain your balance while doing the scaffolds. While scaffolding guard rails should always be in perfect level, workers can alleviate the falling accident by maintaining weight balance.
Though scaffolding guard rails are designed to protect workers from falling, we should not totally rely on these connected steel bars. Device and equipment failures are possible, thus we should always observe human safety survival in everything we do. Scaffolding guard rails are only next to our own definition of safety.